A hysterectomy is an operation to remove the uterus. This surgery may be done for different reasons, including:
• Uterine fibroids that cause pain, bleeding, or other problems
• Uterine prolapse, which is a sliding of the uterus from its normal position into the vaginal canal
• Cancer of the uterus, cervix, or ovaries
• Abnormal vaginal bleeding
• Chronic pelvic pain
• Adenomyosis, or a thickening of the uterus
Frequently Asked Questions
A woman of legal age can consent to get a hysterectomy. Unless absolutely necessary, a woman of age 18-35 is not advised to get a hysterectomy.
The procedure of hysterectomy is not reversible.
Since the uterus is removed, one will not go through periods.